We believe in holistic development of children. Through the game of hockey we focus on preparing children to face challenges and build life-skills. The term 'Life-skills' refers to a group of interpersonal skills which can help children make informed decisions, communicate effectively, and develop coping and self-management skills that may help them lead a healthy and productive life.
We approach by setting examples, by conversation, by showing, and by allowing the children to do these things on their own (with supervision at first). Once we have talked about the skill, showed them how to do it, and let them do it under supervision a few times, we provide the children the trust to do it on their own, and to learn from their own mistakes. We check back every now and then to talk about what they have learned.
We emphasis on the following in all our training sessions
- Interpersonal communication skills
- Negotiation/refusal skills
- Co-operation and teamwork
- Advocacy skills
- Decision-making and problem solving skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Coping and self-management skills
- Skills for increasing internal focus of control
- Skills for managing feelings
- Skills for managing stress